Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Visit to SDMA

I greatly enjoyed our trip to the San Diego Museum of Art.  I have always been interested in visiting this museum, and was so excited when we finally did.  Looking at all the different artwork was an amazing experience.  The most interesting part of the museum was on the artist Howard Hodgkin.  Hodgkin's painting Leaf showed me how complex an art piece can be, when on the surface it looks so simple.  I never thought that art could be so simple and yet so complex with meaning at the same time.
 
I also liked looking at different types of art from different countries.  You could see the similarities and differences from artwork done in India and those done in the United States.  I really enjoyed how the tour was showing us how we, as teachers, can use art in our classroom in many different subjects, including mathematics.  I found myself beginning to visualize what it would be like to bring my future class to SDMA.
The San Diego Museum of Arts is a viable place for elementary and secondary students.  I believe that SDMA would be a positive learning device for children to think more critically.  At the museum, the students and teachers could use VTS to begin thinking on a deeper level for the artwork that they are perceiving.  As much as I would like to say that the San Diego Museum of Art is accessible for elementary and secondary students, in some cases I do not believe it is.  I feel like some schools that are located in a low-income community will have a harder time getting the students to the museum.  Transportation is obviously the the problem with making SDMA accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment